Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Lady Who Broke the Rules (Castonbury Park #3) by Marguerite Kaye

The Lady Who Broke the Rules
'Your rebellion has not gone unnoticed...'

Anticipating her wedding vows and then breaking off the engagement has left Kate Montague's social status in tatters. She hides her hurt at her family's disapproval behind a resolutely optimistic fa├žade, but one thing really grates... For a fallen woman, she knows shockingly little about passion!

Could Virgil Jackson be the man to teach her? A freed slave turned successful businessman, his striking good looks and lethally restrained power throw normally composed Kate into a tailspin! She's already scandalised society, but succumbing to her craving for Virgil would be the most outrageous thing Kate's done by far...



The Lady Who Broke the Rules is a different historical romance, but in a good way. It was a lovely book, as well as a breath of fresh air from the usual historical romances.

Just the fact that the love interest in this book is black gave it points. It immediately set it apart from the usual. Though, I did raise my eyebrows at the historical accuracy of an English lady falling for a black ex-slave-I mean, the probably wouldn't have happened in reality-I was immensely pleased with this book.

Obviously, Kate is not your average society lady. She broke off an engagement, leaving her reputation ruined, and now she has fallen in love with an ex-slave. Clearly, she is a remarkably strong heroine to go against every social rule of the time. That was really the distinguishing trait about her. Though she was also kind, clever, and sensible, I will remember her character most for her strength. And that made me very fond of the rebel.

Virgil, needless to say, has a horrifying past. I mean, he was a slave to a cruel overseer before he was sold to a kind man who freed him. Of course his past is full of horrors. But he never let his poor beginnings bring him down. After he was freed, he worked and worked until he became one of the richest and successful men in America. But, the past still scarred him, both physically and emotionally. As I saw him fight his demons, he earned my sympathy. And a soft spot in my heart. His relationship with Kate really helped him past his troubles. It was very sweet. Of course, some spicy is mixed in, just enough to keep things interesting :)

The book stays fairly true to the time period. The author wasn't shy about showing other characters' disdain for Virgil. He may have been successful and rich, but, to society, he was still considered inferior. Ms. Kaye shows this, though she does it tactfully, so it doesn't offend. It was true to the times and had me rallying even more support for our society defying couple.

The plot kept me interested all the way. And the end was sweet and left me smiling. I was sad to say goodbye to Kate and Virgil. I got attached to them throughout the story, which is really high praise for a romance, for me.

The Lady Who Broke the Rules is a brilliantly done historical romance. Anyone and anyone who likes romance should read it.

5/5

Thanks to Netgalley and Harlequin for a copy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment