Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Gathering Darkness by Lisa Collicutt

The Gathering Darkness
They say "third time's the charm", and for sixteen-year-old Brooke Day, they had better be right. She’s been here before, twice in fact, and an evil demon-witch wants her dead a third time.

When Brooke is forced to leave Boston for the small town of Deadwich, she thinks her life is over. Before long, her new friends start acting strange—downright evil. But worse than that, nightmares she’s had her whole life become reality.

Enter Marcus Knight; popular, hot, and the only person Brooke can trust. Not to mention, they’ve shared the same nightmares.

With the discovery of an ancient Celtic amulet, Brooke and Marcus unravel the secrets of her past, which reveals the key to her future.

As the equinox approaches:

Darkness and light merge for the first time in a century.

Soul-mates reunite.

Magic awakens



This book was wonderful, absolutely fantastic! I adored it!
I went into this book thinking "oh, this seems like it will be a nice story." And, wow, did A Gathering Darkness exceed my expectations and blow me away.

I'm very fond on the idea of reincarnated soul mates. It just speaks to the romantic in me. There have been a few books I've read that follow that idea, but The Gathering Darkness is probably the best of them all.

Brooke and Marcus were wonderful protagonists. Both are likable. It was easy to get attached to them both. Brooke is everything a heroine should be: smart, determined, brave. I was rooting for her the whole time. Marcus is positively swoon-worthy. He is so sweet and hot and caring and intense and basically perfect. Their relationship is beautiful. Their love is deep and pure and perfect. I could feel the centuries worth of love that exists in their relationship. Their relationship is the kind that everyone wishes for. 

I love how all the other characters are done. Since each character has...let's say a history, each felt deep and startlingly real. They were all well drawn out and dynamic. And, let me tell you, the surprises in each character's past blew me away. I really have to applaud Ms. Collicutt for her brilliant job of creating a lovely cast of characters.

The story line of The Gathering Darkness was marvelously done. It was well-paced and revealed secrets slowly. There are quite a few surprises in store that had me gasping in shock. The ending was perfect. It left me smiling and fully intending to reread thing book several times.

The Gathering Darkness is a fantastic book. I can't put into words how much I adored it. If you love a paranormal romance, read The Gathering Darkness.

5/5

Thanks to Netgalley for a copy!

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading this now and am totally loving it. It also helps that it's rainy, overcast and grey here in Washington DC, so it just adds to the book's milieu.

    ReplyDelete