Friday, October 12, 2012

Alternity by Mari Mancusi

Alternity
Imagine waking up in a post-apocalyptic, nightmare world--and being told your whole life is but a dream. Skye Brown thought she was your typical teen--good grades, hot boyfriend, and an afterschool job that pays her to play videogames. But then she started having the dreams.

In her dreams, there is no Earth. Only Terra, a bleak, underground wasteland where people live in squalor and oppression. In her dreams, there is no Skye--only Mariah, a rebel leader fighting against a vile, dystopian regime. And then there's Dawn, a handsome, but haunted solider who sees her as but an empty shell of the girl he once love--a betrayer he vows to hate forever, despite what she sees deep in his eyes.

Now, ripped between Dark Siders and club kids, the mundane and the mystic, Skye finds herself in a fight against time--to learn who she really is, where she belongs..and why. The shocking truth will have her questioning her own reality...and her heart.


Um...wow. That was only completely epic!! Mari Mancusi is officially one of my favorite authors. I read her book, Tomorrow Land, and adored it. Alternity was just as amazing!

The concept of this book is a mindbender. A girl wakes up to find out her whole life was a lie. Literally. I love that kind of mind twister, so when I found out an author I liked was writing a one, I was thrilled. And, after reading it, I'm even more ecstatic. 

Skye was a confusing character. But not in a bad way. She just didn't know who she was. And just when you think you've figured it out, something comes up and changing this up. She was understandably befuddled. At first, she wanted nothing to do with the world she woke up into. And that was a little frustrating to read through. But I can't fault her, because, if I was in her situation, I would want to deal with the strange world I was suddenly thrown into. But, later, she proves herself. She was brave, selfless, and clever and she assimilated into her new world and the situation she inherited. And, damn, she could handle herself in a fight, with her beast katana skills. She really was an admirable character.

I LOVED Dawn. Oh, how I adored him. Despite believing that he was betrayed by the girl he loved, he still loves her completely, mind, body, and soul. His love for Mariah/Skye was an all-consuming, epic-love-story kind of love. It just warmed by heart. Even when he's angry with Skye for Miriah's betrayal, after finding that she doesn't remember anything, he is so sweet to her and so determined to protect her from the dystopian government. And when he finds out the truth about Sky/Mariah (no, I won't tell, no matter how much I want to), he still stands by her. And, btw, the truth about his as surprising as the truth about Skye.

The plot was a thrill ride. There were so many twist, so many surprises, that I was positively winded by the time I finished the book. I kept me hooked all the way through, on the edge of my seat. And the world Mari created was just amazing. With the world-building done meticulously, the world of Terra felt vivid. A dark and barren place controlled by a corrupt government. Truly fantastic setting. The ending, much like Tomorrow Land, was a perfect ending that wrapped up the book nicely. 


If you like dystopians, or just books that never cease throwing surprises at you, you will adore Alternity. I certainly did :)

5/5

Thanks to Netgalley for a copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment