Friday, September 14, 2012

Romeo Redeemed (Juliet Immortal #2) by Stacey Jay

Romeo Redeemed (Juliet Immortal #2)
All will be revealed for fans who have breathlessly awaited the sizzling sequel to Juliet Immortal. This time Romeo takes center stage and gets one chance, and one chance only, to redeem himself.

Cursed to live out eternity in his rotted corpse, Romeo, known for his ruthless, cutthroat ways, is given the chance to redeem himself by traveling back in time to save the life of Ariel Dragland. Unbeknownst to her, Ariel is important to both the evil Mercenaries and the love-promoting Ambassadors and holds the fate of the world in her hands. Romeo must win her heart and make her believe in love, turning her away from her darker potential before his work is discovered by the Mercenaries. While his seduction begins as yet another lie, it soon becomes his only truth. Romeo vows to protect Ariel from harm, and do whatever it takes to win her heart and soul. But when Ariel is led to believe his love is a deception, she becomes vulnerable to Mercenary manipulation, and her own inner darkness may ultimately rip them apart.



I liked that a lot more than I thought I would...

First, let me say that the cover is gorgeous. The couple’s embrace is HOT…as is the guy ;)

Romeo Redeemed was a pleasant surprise for me. I liked Juliet Immortal but I didn’t love it (I gave it a 3/5). This book really impressed me.
So, one of the reasons I didn’t like JI was because I was a little uncomfortable with the thought of Romeo and Juliet being split up. What made it worse is that they weren’t just split up. They hated each other. It bothered me. In RR, things are smoothed over. Obviously, they didn’t go back to being eternal lovers, but they didn’t hate each other anymore. That took away the issue of splitting up the most famous pair of lovers (though I still feel iffy about that).

Romeo Redeemed is a very appropriate title for this book. Romeo basically gets a second chance at everything. He’s given the chance to redeem himself for his mistakes. I really liked getting into Romeo’s head. In JI, I didn’t understand why Romeo would do such terrible things. I mean, it didn’t fit his characterization in the play. I know that this is a retelling and the characters aren’t going to be the same, but it felt like there was no way any semblance of the play’s Romeo would do what this Romeo had done. In this book, you find out why he did all of those terrible things. I understood why he would do them, why he made the decisions he made. It made more sense to me after I found out his reasoning. He more than made up for all of his wrongdoings in this book. I actually grew very fond of this new Romeo.

Ariel was a strange character. She was literally insane at some points. It became quickly obvious why the Ambassadors were so intent on not letting the Mercenaries have her; she has some serious violent tendencies. She was more sensible than you would expect someone with insane tendencies to be, though, but also more trusting than I would ever be in her situation. She believed Romeo when he told her the truth faster than what seemed reasonable. But, at least that’s better than her being infuriatingly stubborn and refusing to believe him, so I didn’t mind that much. She is an interesting character and I actually liked her by the end. She’s strong and determined and will fight for what she believes, even if what she believes isn’t right. And when she does realize she’s wrong, she’ll admit it and apologize. She and Romeo really are a great match. Both of them are tormented, one by his past and one by dark influences. Despite my belief that famous love matches shouldn’t be spit up, Stacy Jay managed to get me to warm up to Ariel and to her relationship with Romeo. Quite a feat, I assure you.

Juliet comes back in RR. I was kind of confused. Didn’t she meet with Ben (Benvolio) in an alternate dimension and live happily ever after? That doesn’t quite happen in RR. She is back in her tomb, alive, and unable to get out. Her story continues, though not at the forefront of the book. We find out what happens to her when she and Romeo end up in the same dimension again. While the whole mix up confused me, I managed to get past it and enjoy the rest of the story.

There are an incredible amount of twists and turns in RR. I swear, the plot twisted every time I thought I knew what was going to happen. After the last twist, I was able to predict the ending, but until then I was on a roller coaster of plot twists. It was totally awesome
That brings us to the ending. The ending is perfect. I loved it; it was a magnificent way to end a unique story. Romeo Redeemed was even better than JI, even though it was a sequel. It’s rare to see that happen so I was both surprised and happy to find that I actually loved it. If you at least like Juliet Immortal, you’ll love Romeo Redeemed.

Definitely 5/5

Thanks to Netgalley for a copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment