Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Ever by Jessa Russo

Ever
Seventeen-year-old Ever’s love life has been on hold for the past two years. She’s secretly in love with her best friend Frankie, and he’s completely oblivious.

Of course, it doesn't help that he’s dead, and waking up to his ghost every day has made moving on nearly impossible.

Frustrated and desperate for something real, Ever finds herself falling for her hot new neighbor Toby. His relaxed confidence is irresistible, and not just Ever knows it. But falling for Toby comes with a price that throws Ever’s life into a whirlwind of chaos and drama. More than hearts are on the line, and more than Ever will suffer.

Some girls lose their hearts to love.

Some girls lose their minds.

Ever Van Ruysdael could lose her soul



Unexpected...but in a good way. Ever was a different book from the YA you normally see, and I think it worked out great.

First, let me say that the cover is SO gorgeous. It's beautiful and ethereal and haunting. It matches up with the book so well. I had a major case of cover lust with this book. With this, it's totally okay to judge the book by its cover.

But moving on...

The idea this book is based off of-ghosts and souls-isn't new, but it is a new take, one that was well done. There isn't a cliche in sight where Ever is concerned. 

Ever was a very realistic character. She messed up, she made mistakes, she embarrassed herself. But that all made me like her more. I really started to feel for her, as if she was a real person. The author did a magnificent job bringing this character to life. Ever is flawed, but it didn't make me frustrated. Yes, her mistakes made me want to shake some sense into her a few times. But she would address them and try to make them right. And all of that contributed to shaping up her character. She was well drawn out, a character you can really like.

The romance was...a whirlwind. This is one of the few times when I really don't know who to root for. Usually I know exactly who I think the heroine should end up with, but with Ever, I'm not so sure. 

Frankie is so ridiculously sweet and endearing. But, he's dead. Ever is in love with him, but she know that nothing could ever come of it because...he's dead. But he's still there, albeit in ghost form, so he still presents a challenge. Ever still sees him all the time, and her feelings never fade. Even as she's dating Toby, she feels as if she's betraying her love for Frankie. And then, at the end, it only gets more complicated when an unexpected occurrence shakes everything up. Seeing what I mean by a whirlwind?  And I still haven't even talked about Toby.

Toby was a as enchanting as Frankie, but in the opposite way. Whereas Frankie is a golden boy, sweet and charming, Toby is a bad boy, passionate and dangerous. Of course, Toby was still a sweetheart. He truly loved Ever and wanted to be with her, despite complications that I won't reveal. He was a roller coaster. He knows that he isn't supposed to get close to Ever, so he tends to push her away, only to come back. You'd think that would get annoying, and it did at first. But, when you find out the reason for all of it, it suddenly seems understandable. Where Frankie's relationship with Ever is soft and sweet, full of long-time love, Toby's relationship with Ever is a whirlwind, full of passion. Both had a lot of merit to me. And I still can't figure out which one I like best.

The story was very interesting. There are twists along the way that you never see coming. The plot was original and fun. The ending was a total shock. I was completely floored. Now, I'm dying to find out what happens next.

Loved Ever. It was spectacular.

5/5

Thanks to Negalley for a copy!

3 comments:

  1. Jessa, I am proud to say, is my CP, and I LOVE her writing as well. The book is fabulous. GREAT review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also proud to claim Jessa as a CP, because Ever is fantastic. I can't wait to see it in print. I'm glad you liked it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So wonderful to see that others enjoy Ever as much as I have through all if it's incarnations!

    ReplyDelete