Thursday, September 13, 2012

Entangled by Nikki Jefford

Entangled (Spellbound #1)
Two months after dying, seventeen-year-old witch Graylee Perez wakes up in her twin sister Charlene’s body.

Until Gray finds a way back inside her own body, she’s stuck being Charlene every twenty-hour hours. Her sister has left precise instructions on how Gray should dress and behave. Looking like a prep isn’t half as bad as hanging out with Charlene’s snotty friends and gropey boyfriend.

The “normals” of McKinley High might be quick to write her behavior off as post-traumatic stress, but warlock Raj McKenna is the only person who suspects Gray has returned from the dead.

Now Gray has to solve the mystery of her death and resurrection and disentangle herself from Charlene’s body before she disappears for good.


A pleasant surprise...
I liked the idea of Entangled when I saw it. It reminded me of [book:Auracle|11362198] and, since I loved that book, I decided to give it a try. And I'm glad I did.

You'd think it would get confusing with two people sharing the same body. But it was well done, explained clearly. 

Graylee is the nice twin. Her sister Charlene is, excuse my language, a psycho bitch. I'm not even sure how they share the same DNA. But, because of this, it's very easy to root for Gray. She's nice, smart, and determined. Though she's in a horrible situation, through no fault of her own, she stays strong and does her best to fix it. She's not an outstanding heroine, but she is likable. 

Raj was amazing. I must say, it is nice seeing multi-ethnicity in a YA (Raj is half-Indian, if you didn't catch that from he name). He has a bad rep because of a situation that happened a few years back and he hasn't been able to fix it. But he's not a stereotypical bad boy. He doesn't push Gray away "for her own safety." Yes, I'm talking about you, Edward. 
Raj was so sweet. Once he realized his feelings for Gray, he did everything he could to help her. He was absolutely determined to help her find a way out of the mess she was embroiled in. Raj was handsome, protective, adorable, endearing. What isn't there to love about such a fantastic guy?

The plot was interesting. It was well drawn out and kept me interested the whole time. The ending was sweet. There are two more books after this one, but Entangled could act as a stand alone. All the loose ends are tied up. I had only one small complaint-that there wasn't an explanation of where the witches got their power from. It was made clear that the ability was genetic, but I would have liked to see some more elaboration. It wasn't a big deal, but it did bother me a little.

Otherwise, Entangled in a lovely book.

5/5

Thanks to Netgalley for a copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment