Saturday, August 11, 2012

The Lost Prince (The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten, #1) by Julie Kagawa


The Lost Prince (The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten, #1)
Don't look at Them. Never let Them know you can see Them.

That is Ethan Chase's unbreakable rule. Until the fey he avoids at all costs—including his reputation—begin to disappear, and Ethan is attacked. Now he must change the rules to protect his family. To save a girl he never thought he's dare to fall for.

Ethan thought he had protected himself from his older sister's world—the land of Faery. His previous time in the Iron Realm left him with nothing but fear and disgust for the world Meghan Chase has made her home, a land of myths and talking cats, of magic and seductive enemies. But when destiny comes for Ethan, there is no escape from a danger long, long forgotten.


My wait for The Lost Prince was cut short! I swear, when my request was approved on Netgalley, I barely kept myself from squealing like a fangirl.
And, yes, it was worth all the hype and the agony of waiting, a fantastic addition to the world of the fey (which, btw, I was endlessly happy about diving back into)

First of all, Ethan. I adored that little boy in the first Iron Fey series and now he's all grown up :) Is it weird that I kind of feel like a proud mother? Anyhow, he's definitely all grown up and his life hasn't been easy. He has a huge chip in his shoulder. He's been fighting off fey for the last decade and they've still cost him loads of trouble. Add to that he resents Meghan for leaving and hates Ash for taking her back to faery, and you've got one troubled teenage boy. He tends to lash out and uses the mask of being a jerk to keep people away. But, beneath all that, that sweet boy still exists. Ethan is strong, determined, and brave with a soft-side that will melt your heart. Truly, he's grown to be an excellent character.

There is a new main group, obviously, and the others are Kierran (the Iron prince), Annwyl (Kierran's sweetheart), and Kenzie (Ethan's love interest).

I had a lot of fun reading about Kierran. He is a lot like his parents. He goes on crazy dangerous missions with little to no thought of his safety. When he gets angry, a chill goes through the air. He loves a girl from another court. Sound familiar? But, of course, there is more to him than that. Kierran can actually use all three glamours-iron, summer, and winter. I think this is why he figures in the prophecy we'll see in  Iron's Prophecy. He has the power of all three courts. Of course, I read The Lost Prince before reading Iron's Prophecy so I'm just guessing (though I'm pretty sure I'm right). I feel like the prophecy will shed some light on the situation, so, for those who have to wait until October 23, you'll have more information about the plot going into it than I did.

Anyway, I digress. Kierran was wonderful. His sarcastic comments were always a good laugh and his protectiveness over Annwyl was endearing. When he meets Ethan, it's a little weird for both of them, but they manage to get along. I adored Kierran.

Annwyl was shown briefly in the Iron Knight, if anyone remembers that. It was during Ash's look into one of his possible futures. She's a sweet girl. Her and Kierran's love remind me of a certain other couple in its devotion. Annwyl is banished from the summer court and is living with our Dark Muse. Kierran visits when he can. I wonder how their relationship will be resolved...

Kenzie was the new main girl. I have to say, at first I was a little wary of her. I'm protective about my Iron Fey (weird as that sounds) and she felt like an intruder. But, after a while, I started warming up to her. She proved herself to be brave and clever. All my reservations about her vanished when we find out something about her. After learning her secret, it made a lot more sense why she was so determined to join with Ethan. By the end of the book, I was fond of her.

Of course, our old group makes a few cameos. Whenever that happened, I started smiling like crazy and barely contained myself from fangirling (note: I don't fangirl. Ever.) Meghan and Ash are there, still in love and still the same as they were when we left them. Puck was there with his sarcastic comments and his bickering with Ash. Grim was there, still guiding, still just as we remember him. It was fun to see them again. The thing is, I think some people are going into this to see more of our old group. As much fun as it was to see them again, it's not their story anymore. Of course, they're part of it. But the torch has passed on to a new generation. I think everyone should realize that before reading The Lost Prince.

The conflict in The Lost Prince is ingenious. You get a hint of it in The Iron Knight. I don't want to say it, because I think it would ruin the suspense of the beginning, while they still don't know what's going on. However, if you look back at The Iron Knight and look at the name of the new series, I think you'll be able to figure it out on your own.

The plot was as brilliant as the old Iron Fey books. It moves quickly, holds a few twists and turns, and leaves off with you wanting more. At the end, I was a little in shock. I am so curious to find out what happens next. I can already tell that the wait is going to be agony.
I wonder how long this series is going to be. Does anyone know how long it's planned to be?

The Lost Prince was the epitome of brilliant, just as good as the previous series. If you liked the old series, you'll like the new just as much.

Pure perfection: 5/5

Thanks to Netgalley and HarlequinTEEN for a copy!

4 comments:

  1. You already read it??! I'm so jealous cause, like most readers, I have to wait for it to come out in OCTOBER :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola,
    Me he leído todos los libros de “The iron fey”, hasta “The iron fey, the iron knight” y tengo muchas dudas sobre si debería leerme los siguientes (“the iron’s prophecy”, “the lost prince” y “the traitor son”) porque durante la lectura ha tenido momentos bastante dolorosos, sin embargo (PELIGRO SPOILER)como al final de el caballero de hierro Meghan y Ash están juntos al fin, donde Ash aún conserva su parte de fey, da a entender que estarán juntos para siempre. El problema está que no quiero leerme la nueva serie si eso se estropea porque me mataría…y además si en la historia nueva los viejos personajes (Meghan, Ash y Puck) no son protagonistas o casi no aparecen tampoco me gustaría leérmelos porque entonces quedarían eclipsados por los nuevos y mi idea se rompería. Por tanto que me aconsejáis, me cuesta ignorarlo sabiendo que hay más, ¿Meghan, Ash o Puck, tiene más historia? ¿O es solo con los nuevos?
    :S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Focusing on local areas is definitely easier than focusing on the fictional election campaign of one of the
    best ways to start Student Loan your product with web articles and reviews.


    Also visit my page: student loans for people with bad credit

    ReplyDelete
  4. fatty liver medical journal fatty liver medical journal fatty liver medical journal

    Also visit my webpage :: fatty liver treatment mayo clinic

    ReplyDelete