Thursday, July 19, 2012

Two and Twenty Dark Tales: Dark Retellings of Mother Goose Rhymes

Two and Twenty Dark Tales: Dark Retellings of Mother Goose Rhymes
In this anthology, 20 authors explore the dark and hidden meanings behind some of the most beloved Mother Goose nursery rhymes through short story retellings. The dark twists on classic tales range from exploring whether Jack truly fell or if Jill pushed him instead to why Humpty Dumpty, fragile and alone, sat atop so high of a wall.



I'm going to keep this short, since there really isn't much to say.


Okay, this book is wonderful. I love retellings and none of these disappointed. They were all dark and imaginative. In other words, I loved it. 


If I were to say one thing against this anthology, it would be that I don't think that any one person will like every one of the short stories. Unless they are remarkably familiar with Mother Goose Rhymes. Let me explain. If I knew the Mother Goose Rhyme that the story was based off of, I liked the story. But if I didn't know it, then I would be very interested in the story. How exactly could I enjoy a retelling when I didn't know the original telling in the first place? 


This is not to say the I didn't like the stories that were based off of Rhymes that I wasn't familiar with. The problem was that when the story made references to parts of the original, I had no idea what they were talking about. So, it just made things a little confusing. 


But other than that little problem, Two and Twenty Dark Tales was a masterpiece of dark tales. I loved it.


4/5


Thanks to Netgalley for a copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment