Saturday, July 28, 2012

Something Strange and Deadly (Something Strange and Deadly, #1) by Susan Dennard

Something Strange and Deadly (Something Strange and Deadly, #1)
The year is 1876, and there’s something strange and deadly loose in Philadelphia…

Eleanor Fitt has a lot to worry about. Her brother has gone missing, her family has fallen on hard times, and her mother is determined to marry her off to any rich young man who walks by. But this is nothing compared to what she’s just read in the newspaper—

The Dead are rising in Philadelphia.

And then, in a frightening attack, a zombie delivers a letter to Eleanor…from her brother.

Whoever is controlling the Dead army has taken her brother as well. If Eleanor is going to find him, she’ll have to venture into the lab of the notorious Spirit-Hunters, who protect the city from supernatural forces. But as Eleanor spends more time with the Spirit-Hunters, including their maddeningly stubborn yet handsome inventor, Daniel, the situation becomes dire. And now, not only is her reputation on the line, but her very life may hang in the balance



Not what I expected, but in the best way possible. I loved it!
I'm going to keep this short, since there are already so many reviews detailing this book.

I was expecting a zombie horror with blood and guts galore. Instead, this was a paranormal romance, where zombies happened to be present, with a few twists and turns.

I really liked Eleanor. She was a strong heroine. Despite all the horror surrounding her and having her brother missing, she's still strong. And she's not about to let the Spirit Hunters have all the fun themselves. She barges right in and more or less declares that she will help whether they like it or not. That's the way to do it :) I don't really have any complaints about Eleanor. She was wonderful.

And the only personal who can match wills with Eleanor...Daniel. Oh, I already have a soft-spot for the grumpy inventor. He's done some bad things in the past and helping get rid of the zombie threats all over the place is his way a making up for it. The romance is really light in this book. Besides one kiss and some serious sexual tension, the romance isn't a main component. Though I'm definitely hoping to see more in the next book :) But back to Daniel. He's a delightfully complicated character. Despite his grumpiness, he's a real sweetheart. I adored him.

The other characters were well-developed. All of them, from the other Spirit Hunters to the high society snobs. Each one drew a different emotional reaction from me, from amused (Jie) to conflicted (Clarence).

The story is fast-paced. There is a twist at the end that you will never see coming. I certainly didn't. Actually, there are multiple twists towards the end. So many that my head was spinning by the time I finished. Just the way I like it :)

If I had one complaint, it would be that I wanted a better description of the whole necromancy thing. It was explained a little, but not enough that I understood it. I'm assuming this will be remedied in the next book, after reading the summary. So it wasn't a huge problem, but it was a bit of an annoyance.

Otherwise, Something Strange and Deadly is absolutely wonderful.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment