Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Scotsmen Prefer Blondes (Muses of Mayfair #2) by Sara Ramsey

Scotsmen Prefer Blondes (Muses of Mayfair #2)
She never wanted marriage…

When a friend is forced to consider a marriage of convenience, Lady Amelia Staunton is determined to rescue her. But her plans trap her in an illicit seduction, and Amelia must marry him herself. Malcolm’s all-consuming kisses and devilish humor might make up for her lost freedom, but she believes he will force her to abandon the Gothic romances she yearns to write. Since she can’t escape him, she must distract him from her secret…

He isn’t looking for love…

A powerful autocrat with a well-hidden rebellious streak, Malcolm MacCabe doesn’t need another beautiful mistress – he needs an obedient wife. Obedience is not one of Amelia’s virtues. But he’s too enthralled by her wit and passion to let her go – even if it means risking the political reputation he is building to save his clan.

Their hearts can’t survive the scandal…

Despite their intentions, every wicked embrace binds them together. But as their conflicting desires combust into insatiable hunger and unavoidable ruin, they must decide whether to pursue their personal destinies alone – or fight for the love that could destroy them both.




I'm a little conflicted with this one. There were parts that I loved, but there were also parts that I didn't like. A story of the conflicting desires of duty and love, this book definitely has its ups. But there accompanied a few deep downs.


First of all, Amelia. In some ways she was lovely. She was strong, not about to let an autocrat dictate her, even if he is her husband. I was really interesting how all her thoughts somehow revolved around her stories. At random moments, she would suddenly think of a plot that she could use in her stories. A few times she thought of how she would write the story of what was happening with her at the time. It was fun and endearing. But I did have a slight problem with her. At the beginning, a didn't understand why she was so determined not to like Malcolm. When he was still supposed to marry her friend. She was determined to see him in a bad light. And when he turned his attention on to her, she kept trying to force it back onto her friend. But, since there was no real engagement, it seemed reasonable to me that he had every right to decide not to marry Prudence. Once they get married, it settles down, and she stops seeing him as a devil incarnate. So, I got over it eventually. But it really did bother me. However, I did like her character, especially after how she was prepared to fight for Malcolm towards the end. So, despite one misstep, I really liked Amelia.


Malcolm is a conundrum. Part of him is free, wild, and fun. The other part is controlled and domineering. Because he's trying to gain supporters in Parliament so that he can help his clan, he lets that controlled side smother the free side. Now, I understood this; I didn't blame him for being so determined to help his clan. I actually found that admirable. But I did blame him for refusing to actually listen to Amelia the several times she tried to tell him the truth or talk to him about his cold behavior. When there relationship started to fall apart, it seemed to me that it was his fault. I also couldn't stand how he reacted when he found out about Amelia's writing. I could understand that he was angry, but I didn't think his action were warranted. But, honestly, I couldn't dislike him. It is amazing that the author managed this, but, despite how irritated I got with him, I still adored him. Because of the times that he let go of his control. There were so many instances where he did the sweetest things, particularly during the honeymoon. Even when I was angry with him, I couldn't hate him. In fact, by the end of the book, I adored him. It's a great accomplishment when an author can make me feel so many emotions about a character, so I have to applaud Ms. Ramsey for that.


I liked the story line for the most part. It was fast-paced and interesting. There are only a couple of complaints there. First, I didn't understand the need to have Prudence semi-engaged to Malcolm at the beginning. I didn't really think it was necessary to add that plot-line. Unless that's going to come into play in a later book in the series. We'll have to wait and see about that, I suppose. The other complaint was that there was a definite lag in the story. It was when Amelia and Malcolm went to London so that Malcolm could go to Parliament. It was at this point when there relationship hit a snag and we hit an impasse. And that impasse lasted for a while. It didn't drag on, but it lagged. We had a while of Amelia agonizing over their relationship before the next plot line happened. It wasn't horrible, but it was noticeable enough that I got a little frustrated. Otherwise, I did like the story. And the ending was sweet and perfect.


I think it's pretty obvious from what I've said so far that I have very conflicting emotions about Scotsmen Prefer Blondes. I liked it. But the parts that I complained about kept me from loving it. Don't get me wrong, the book was lovely. It just had a few problems. But that wouldn't stop me from recommending it to anyone who likes historical romance. Where I liked it, you might love it.


So, after much thought, 3/5


Thanks to Netgalley for a copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment