Monday, June 4, 2012

The Goddess Legacy (The Goddess Test #2.5) by Aimee Carter

The Goddess Legacy (Goddess Test, #2.5)
For millennia we've caught only glimpses of the lives and loves of the gods and goddesses on Olympus. Now Aimé e Carter pulls back the curtain on how they became the powerful, petty, loving and dangerous immortals that Kate Winters knows. 

Calliope/Hera represented constancy and yet had a husband who never matched her faithfulness...

Ava/Aphrodite was the goddess of love and yet commitment was a totally different deal...

Persephone was urged to marry one man, yet longed for another...

James/Hermes loved to make trouble for others-but never knew true loss before...

Henry/Hades's solitary existence had grown too wearisome to continue. But meeting Kate Winters gave him a new hope...

Five original novellas of love, loss and longing and the will to survive throughout the ages






Absolutely brilliant! I feel like I know the characters so much better now. I wondered whether this would be worth reading in regards to the series and, after reading it, I would definitely urge any fans of the series to read The Goddess Legacy. Not only is it interesting, but it also clarifies a few things that weren't touched on in  the first two books. 


The story about Calliope/Hera explained how jealous Hera became insane Calliope. It shows how she turned her affections to Hades/Henry and became obsessed. I actually understand her insanity now, why she would go to such great lengths to have Henry for herself. I can't say that I like her any better, but I do understand her much better now.


The Ava/Aphrodite story was sweet. This one was about how she developed her relationship with Hephaestus. In the myths, of course, that marriage was arranged and devoid of love. In Goddess Interrupted, we find that their relationship is actually a loving one. This story explains how that came to be. It also gives a good explanation as to why Ava has more lovers than the ocean has drops of water. It made me like Ava a lot more because that tendency of her's tended to get on my nerves in the first two books. Getting a reasonable explanation fixed that for me and now I can actually like her.


Persephone's story was...enlightening to say the least. It describes her time with Hades, from the moment they took their vows to Persephone giving up her immortality for Adonis. There were times in this story when I wanted to wring her neck-like the many times she hurt poor Henry. But I do understand why their relationship never seemed to work. It doesn't say it outright, but it can be assumed from the many hints. Let's just say that their relationship wasn't meant to be, and someone made sure to keep it that way. After finding out that the debacle of Hades and Persephone's relationship wasn't entirely her fault, I can't hate her anymore. I still don't particularly like her-I think she's selfish and a witch for hurting Henry-but at least I understand her actions. But I'm still beyond glad that she's out of the picture.


James/Hermes' story was probably one of the most informative. And it was adorable. In this one, Hermes gets to know a few mortals while trying to find out why so many gods are fading. He is, as always, charming and adorable. But, most importantly, we find out why the gods changed their names. I didn't understand the necessity before, but the explanation given in this story was thoroughly believable. It actually makes perfect sense that the gods would change their names-and their relationship with mortals-after reading this explanation. This story, along with Persephone's, also gives light to the animosity between James and Henry. I know it's touched on in the previous books, but this made it much more understandable. 


And finally, Henry's story. Ah, Henry...I didn't know it was even possible to love you even more, but I seemed to have managed it. This one chronicles how Henry decided to give up and fade, and the subsequent tests on the potential goddesses. This actually includes a condensed version of the first scene in the first book. And, a little surprise into how Kate and Henry first met, and I don't mean when Ava "died." The way they actually met was so adorable. I swear, in the moment that I found out how they really met, my conviction in their relationship quadrupled. And if you're panting to know how they first met, I'll let you stew in the agony and find out for yourself. But this story gives light to how Henry felt watching all the girl die during the tests. And how he felt after meeting Kate. And we get the explanation as to how Henry got that reflection of Kate and her mom that he gave to her for Christmas in the first book. A little add on about Henry in general: During each story, it was stressed how Henry was the best of all the gods, the only one not corrupted. That truly made me lose my heart to the tormented god and it gave a reason as to why Henry is so different from the other gods. All I have to say to him at this point is: Henry, I love you!


Along with all this, we also understand the origin of each of the god and goddesses' new names. In each story, we get a look into how that character chose their name. All of this gave light to the characters, allowed me to understand them so much better.


The Goddess Legacy is wonderful and, if you like the series, you'll love this book. 


Definitely 5/5


Thanks to Netgalley for a copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment