Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Before I Wake (Soul Screamers, #6) by Rachel Vincent


Before I Wake (Soul Screamers, #6)
I died on a Thursday-killed by a monster intent on stealing my soul. The good news? He didn't get it. The bad news? Turns out not even death will get you out of high school...  Covering up her own murder was one thing, but faking life is much harder than Kaylee Cavanaugh expected. After weeks spent "recovering," she's back in school, fighting to stay visible to the human world, struggling to fit in with her friends and planning time alone with her new reaper boyfriend. But to earn her keep in the human world, Kaylee must reclaim stolen souls, and when her first assignment brings her face-to-face with an old foe, she knows the game has changed. Her immortal status won't keep her safe. And this time Kaylee isn't just gambling with her own life....




I'm in shock. Literally. I am just overwhelmed with everything that happened in this book. I don't know how Ms. Vincent manages to have each book in the series get progressively better, but she did it. Before I Wake was beyond words, absolutely spectacular.

Kaylee has to deal with a lot in this book. She has to figure out how to fit into her afterlife, manage her relationship with Tod, seek Nash's forgiveness, and learn how to do her new job. And, of course, things can't be that easy for her and a Netherworld disaster threatens the lives of innocent people. Over the course of the series, I've come to really care about Kaylee. Seeing her deal with all this was rather emotional. I literally didn't move off my couch until I had read every page. She grew up so much as she dealt with everything in her afterlife. For all who have read the previous books, you already know how strong she is. And she definitely doesn't disappoint in this book. I want to say so much more, but I can't do it without giving away the story, so I'll contain myself and move on.

Tod is...Tod. I really can't say anything else. Whenever he was on the page, I was smiling. He is just...amazing. That word is a sad understatement, but I can't think of one that fits his awesomeness. He's SO sweet. I swear, my heart melted multiple times at his sweetness. He's the definition of a perfect boyfriend. Where do you find guys like him? Please tell me so that I can go there immediately. Kaylee is one lucky girl. Especially during a certain part when they do a certain thing that I won't say but you can probably guess. Once again, Kaylee is a lucky girl. But moving on. As we see Kaylee struggling with her afterlife, it becomes clear how things were for Tod. And he didn't have anyone to help him through all of the hardships involved with an afterlife. Seeing that made me appreciate his character even more. The poor man has been through so much, and a lot of it alone. I didn't know possible for me to love Tod more. But, somehow, that adorable, sexy, blond, dimpled reaper got a little more of my heart. I should probably move one before my entire review consists of me fawning over him. But it's just so fun to do.

The other characters were amazing as well. Nash...my heart just broke for him. Multiple times. Despite all the mistakes he's made, I can't help but adore him. In this book, he has to pull his life back together and start on the road to forgiveness. Much easier said than done. And, despite all that has happened between them, Nash was still there for Kaylee when she needed him. He was very sweet and, as I said, my heart broke for him. He and Tod were at each other's throats for most of the book. Or, really, all of it. Here's hoping that they can heal the rift between them. I wonder, though, if Nash will find out what Tod did for him the day he died in the next book. I think that if there's ever going to be understanding between them, that secret has to be let out. We'll see. Let's hope Nash gets the happy ending he deserves.

As hard as it is to admit this, but I actually started to like Sabine in this book. I know, after everything she's done, that seems like a long shot. But, in this book, we see the nice side of her, or, at least, the less mean side. I understood the amount of pain she's going though at the fact that the person she's in love with is in love with someone else. I understood her character a lot more after reading this, and I couldn't help but sympathize with her. She's a very complex character (then again, all the characters are complex in this series).

Sophie underwent a transformation. Let's just say, reality hit her hard. She was actually...not mean a few times. I know, unbelievable. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't read it myself. But I dislike her a little less now.

The story line was fantastic, as always. The twists and turns left me breathless.  I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. And the ending...oh my goodness. I don't even know what to make of it. I'm probably going to need a while to come to terms with what happened. It was just...wow. Before I Wake does not disappoint in the slightest. And now I have to endure the agony of waiting for the next and last book in the Soul Screamers series: With All My Soul. I am so anxious to find out what happened to these characters that I've grown to care about to much. I can be patient. Maybe. Probably not. Oh, well. I'll survive the wait somehow.

Before I wake is just beyond words, a worthy addition to this magnificent series.

I'd give it a million stars if I could, but I can't, so 5/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment