Thursday, May 17, 2012

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)
After serving out a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin. Her opponents are men—thieves and assassins and warriors from across the empire, each sponsored by a member of the king's council. If she beats her opponents in a series of eliminations, she'll serve the kingdom for three years and then be granted her freedom. Celaena finds her training sessions with the captain of the guard, Westfall, challenging and exhilirating. But she's bored stiff by court life. Things get a little more interesting when the prince starts to show interest in her... but it's the gruff Captain Westfall who seems to understand her best. Then one of the other contestants turns up dead... quickly followed by another. Can Celaena figure out who the killer is before she becomes a victim? As the young assassin investigates, her search leads her to discover a greater destiny than she could possibly have imagined.




So incredibly amazing! Throne of Glass was thrilling and had me at the edge of my seat the whole time.

This book is already popular with all of its fans who discovered it on fictionpress and I have no doubt that tons of followers will be added. 

Celaena is the most kick-ass heroine I've ever seen. Saying she's fierce is a vast understatement. She will literally look at you and have a hundred different ways to kill you plotted within seconds. She can take down trained soldiers twice her size without even breaking a sweat. She accepts the grim reality she faces with aplomb and makes do as best she can. She's resourceful, strong, and clever. I loved that she didn't fall all over herself when the love triangle was introduced (more on that later). She reminded me A LOT of Ismae from Grave Mercy. Both are female assassins who hold their own in the intrigue of court politics. Both are excellent characters. I adored Ismae in Grave Mercy, so the similarity only made me like Celaena more. I wonder what would happen if those two met...they would either be best friends or kill each other. But moving back to Throne of Glass...

The romance is very minor. Yes, it does hold place in the plot but it's by no means the center. It was light romance, though I feel like the romance might play a greater role in the later books in the series based on how things ended on that subject. The love interests are each fantastic in their own right. Chaol is a fiercely loyal, dedicated captain of the army who is tormented by his emotions for Celaena when he feels it's his duty to be her enemy. Dorian is a laid back prince who has a lot more to him than meets the eye. The romance with Dorian was focused on more, to the point that I would call it questionable to say that any "romance" was going on with Chaol and Celaena. I have to say, I have a soft-spot for Dorian. While I liked Chaol, I ADORED Dorian so I suppose my loyalties have been laid. 

The plot was thrilling, with the threat of the unknown murderer constantly looming. I know that this has been called a Cinderella retelling, but that only comes up once, during a ball. Otherwise, this plot had nothing to do with Cinderella's story. But I happen to like this once much better :) 

The ended had me wanting to through a fit, partly because I didn't want the book to end and partly because I know that cliffhanger will be driving me crazy until I manage to get my hands on the next book.

5/5

Thanks to Netgalley for a copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment