Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Dark Kiss by Michelle Rowen

Dark Kiss (Nightwatchers, #1)
I don't do dangerous.  Smart, ├╝ber-careful, ordinary Samantha-that's me. But I just couldn't pass up a surprise kiss from my number-one unattainable crush. A kiss that did something to me...something strange. Now I feel hungry all the time, but not for food. It's like part of me is missing-and I don't know if I can get it back. Then there's Bishop. At first I thought he was just a street kid, but the secrets he's keeping are as intense as his unearthly blue eyes. If he's what I think he is, he may be the only one who can help me. But something terrifying is closing in, and the one chance Bishop and I have to stop it means losing everything I ever wanted and embracing the darkness inside me.... NIGHTWATCHERS When angels and demons must work together, something beyond evil is rising...




Finally, a good angel YA! And, wow, was it spectacular! LOVED it
The story was excellent, the characters were engaging and the entire book was simply perfection.

Let me start with the characters. 
Sam is a refreshing lead. She's modest, but not to the point of being self-depreciating. She's genuinely kind and she's very clever. When she finds out all the paranormal happenings, her initial disbelief is justifiable but she was smart enough to accept the reality when she faced irrefutable proof. She's very careful with who she trusted, which seemed a good idea to me as I was reading because there was so much sketchy business going on. I especially liked that, while she did't back down from a fight or take the coward's way out, she knew the limits of her abilities and was clever about it rather than just barging into a suicidal mission (*cough*Bella*cough). She was a lovely character to read about. 

Bishop was, without a doubt, incredibly hot. Especially with the delightful descriptions of his "glowing blue eyes." There's a lot more to him, however. He's not your average YA love-interest, especially not with what we find out about him towards the end. I don't want to give it away because it's one of the most important-and shocking-secrets revealed, but I can tell you that you'll never see it coming. He's loyal and keeps to his promises, placing absolute importance in carrying them out. This proves a disadvantage a few times, because he agonizes over any promise he wasn't able to keep, but I loved that about him. I definitely grew a soft spot for the haunted angel.

Kraven, a demon, was a fascinating character. I loved it whenever he was on the page because entertainment by sarcasm was sure to follow. He reminded me a little of Tod from the Soul Screamers series. His darker nature and his sarcasm combined with his undeniable ability to grow on you until you adore him definitely paralleled Tod's charms, which-for me-only made me like him more. I wonder, though, whether there is more meant for him-perhaps a later love triangle-because there seemed to be something particularly important about him. His past is dark and it shows, besides the obvious. I fell in love with him a little by the end of the book and I can't wait to see more of him.

The story is unique and original. There are several surprises in store, each more shocking than the next. By the end, I was nearly having a heart attack from all those twists. I loved that about Dark Kiss; it's by no means your average paranormal YA. 

The ending left the characters in a thorny situation and now I'm incredibly anxious to get my hands on the next book to find out what happens. Dark Kiss is a resounding victory for YA angel.

Without a doubt: 5/5

Thanks to Netgalley and Harlequin Teen for a copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment