Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Halflings by Heather Burch

Halflings (Halflings, #1) 

So, the concept of Halflings isn't new. The idea of angels and half angels has been used before. But Halflings takes on the familiar mythology in a whole new way. 

The use of angels was well done. For once, the heroine wasn't unknowingly a half-angel or the reincarnated love of an angel (yes, I'm talking about you Fallen). Nikki is simply a human seer. Obviously, she has a greater role to play, one that isn't revealed yet. 

The characters were great. Nikki was self-reliant, Mace was so sweet, Raven was delightfully dangerous, and Vine was endearing. The three Halflings won their way into my heart. I adore each of them. 

However, there were parts of the book I didn't like. For one thing, Nikki was a little frustrating for me. For one, she was so adamant on going for Mace and pushing Raven away at first and at the end, she suddenly does a complete one eighty. On minute she rejects Mace to save him from punishment, the next she's kissing Raven. I didn't quite understand that. The other big issue was that very little seemed to happen. Haflings is very first book; it really serves only to introduce the characters and mythology and didn't really bother trying to do more. While it set things into motion, very little actually occured. 

Now, don't get me wrong, I still liked Halflings, I just didn't love it. While the plot is sparse, it does set up a solid base for a fantastic series, so I'm definitely going for the next book. 

Overall, Halflings was a pretty good book. While not spectacular, it is a fun read and it promises an epic series. I recommend that anyone who likes light romance and still has hope for the angel YA genre. 

So a solid 3/5  

No comments:

Post a Comment