Thursday, March 29, 2012

Emerald City by Alicia K. Leppert

So today's the day for the Emerald City blog tour. Are you excited? 
Good, you should be.



Emerald City 

Let's start off with the intriguing summary, shall we?





Olivia Tate is a broken shell of a girl haunted by the tragic events that fill her past. She has closed herself off from the world, each day grasping at something—anything—to live for. Convinced there will never be a way out, she seeks solace in the depths of her medicine cabinet. When she wakes up days later in the hospital she is introduced to Jude, the quiet stranger responsible for saving her life. She never could have guessed then that her mysterious rescuer would end up saving her life a second time, while simultaneously turning her world upside down.






Spine-tingling isn't it? I know; gave me shivers (the good kind) when I first read it ;)

Now for what I thought about this fabulous book:

I actually really liked this book. It was a sweet romance and a story of healing. Olivia goes from suicidal to bringing her life back together. She is the definition of strength in her courage to repair her broken life. She was a little clingy with Jude at some points, but it was understandable. I mean, she was abandoned by everyone in her life, of course she would be constantly worried that he would be next,so I didn't mind. 


Jude is very sweet and VERY handsome (what can I say; I'm a sucker for dimples). He knew that he would get in trouble for saving Olivia and staying to take care of her, but he still did it. It was adorable. He is the perfect love interest. 


The romance in sweet but not overbearing. While it's the base of the book, it doesn't get to be too much. The plot is unique. It's a sweet story, one that just makes you feel good inside when you read it. 


There are only a few things that I had a problem with that knocked off one star. First, Emerald City was a little preachy in it's mythology. The whole issue of God doesn't come up a lot, but at a few points it got to feel like I was being lectured in religion. It wasn't too bad, but I'd rather have seen that avoided completely because some people get bothered by it.


Otherwise, Emerald City was brilliant. I loved the romance and the story. There are some darker elements in it that gave it a slightly more serious edge, but it still remains a sweet story about the healing power of love. I would recommend this to anyone who likes a lovely story about sweet romance. 


4/5 


Now for the best part.....The author interview!



Please welcome Ms. Alicia Leppert!




Your story is rather unique? What was the inspiration for it?

It was a combination of an overwhelming desire to write a heart-wrenching romance, a powerful story about a girl who suffers from depression, and a last-minute decision to jump on the paranormal bandwagon!

Emerald City takes a look at a rather sensitive topic: suicide. Was it difficult to write about it?
Not as difficult as you'd think. There were a few times I had to word things very carefully so as not to offend anyone or seem insensitive, but when I wrote the suicide scene, it actually came very naturally, even though I've never experienced it myself. I think because of the way I chose to play it out, where it wasn't planned or even necessarily a conscious decision Olivia made, it didn't feel like this horrendous, tragic thing I was writing. But maybe that's because I knew she would survive. :) 
(That would definitely lessen the stress; I was positively frantic during that scene!)

Was there a certain scene that you particularly enjoyed writing?
My favorite scenes to write were all the romantic milestones between Jude and Olivia: the first night he stayed over, their first kiss, each step they took toward a relationship. Deep down I'm a mushy, gushy, girlie romantic, so really the rest of the story was just a means to write about two people falling madly in love.

There is a bit of a cliffhanger at the end. Do you plan to write a sequel or continue into a series? If so, can you give an idea of what's in store for these lovely characters?
Yes, there will definitely be a sequel and most likely a series. I can't give anything away, really, except that their relationship will continue to progress even as they fight to preserve it. And there will be more insight into both their pasts. 
(So excited to hear that! I can't wait to see what happens!)

Just to be random, what's your current favorite book?

I don't know that I have a favorite, but the last book that really got my heart pounding and had me dying for the sequel to come out was Delirium by Lauren Oliver. (I just finished the sequel. Can't wait for the next one!)

(I'm with you there Alicia...I nearly had I heart attack when I finished Pandemonium!)


Thanks Alicia! I can't wait to see the genius you come up with next :)


And thanks for coming everyone! I hope you love Emerald City when you read it as much as I did. Counting down the days until April 10th!






1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the great review and the fun interview Farrah! You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete